Thursday, August 23, 2012

Movie Review: Brave - A snippet

I finally saw Brave.

Wow.

Just Wow.

From a gripping story (for me at least) with well done characters, amazing animation, and a musical score that should be a gold standard for all future Disney releases.  I was practically in tears with joy during the opening third of the movie as Merida embraced her passions and chased after her loves.  It was heart lifting on levels I cannot put to words.

But let me try:  I can only pray, and I mean Pray, that I see that kind of joy in the eyes of my beloved little Kaylee.  I can only hope against hope that she feels so free to be the woman she knows in her heart she is.

But before I really get into a review I'd like to revisit something I posted on several months ago, specifically the scandalous implications that Merida might be the first Gay Disney Princess

SHAME ON YOU PEOPLE!

I'm serious.

How slow of a news day was it that you decided that you needed a scandal so you could bash on something and have a topic of discussion?  What is wrong with you that you would take a wonderful story about a Princess who wants to chose her husband rather than be forced to marry one that happens to be a good shot with an arrow and try to tar it by saying that it was all some big leftist agenda?

We can fix a lot of things, folks, but we can't fix blind hate nor can we fix stupid.

How many times have we seen those same stories, of a Princess forced to marry against her will only to soften the heart of her father so that he relents and she is free to marry for love, rather than tradition?

"I decree that from this day forth the princess will marry whom ever she chooses!" - The Sultan in Aladdin

It's not a new trope and the only difference is that at the end of Brave we don't know who that Prince will be.  But we do have a woman who is not afraid to follow tradition and establish that she will marry for love and for no other reason.  Then we add to it that she also has to learn that there is more to life than just following whims.  Tradition has its place.  Family has a place.  Supporting and loving each other has its place.

At the end the story was powerful and compelling and showed surprising depth.

I've often defended the talking heads as having a "point of view".  I admit that once up on a time I wondered about The Little Mermaid glorifying teenage defiance.  But this time, no.

Merida was portrayed as a real woman would, with real conflicts and real choices.  To claim it as anything else, I'm sorry to say, is nothing but ignorance.

No comments:

Post a Comment